Thursday, December 22, 2011

Unshackled

UNSHACKLED

Walking a road, destination unknown
A crossroads I reach, I stand alone
A choice to make, two different paths
Gather my thoughts, reflect on my past

A path familiar, lined trees young and old
Traditions deeply rooted, expectations to uphold
A trail cut to follow, molded and planned
Another branch on a tree, a speck in the sand

A path unfamiliar, tall grasses and weeds
No trail cut by formers, unknown where it leads
Seeking fulfillment, strong, driven and bold
My dreams passionately eager, waiting to unfold

Torn between aspiration and others dictation
Fearful of regret, fearful of alienation
Hopeful for understanding, hopeful for a day
They’ll understand my desire, the need for my say

Unshackle the roots, snap my branch
Gather my courage, I must take a chance
My choices, my consequences, my own to make
Trails to carve out, my journey to take

Copyright © 2011 by Nada A. Sakher

2 comments:

Poetty Intertranslation said...

nice theme...but sounds familiar....inspired by Robert Frost's??

Nada Sakher said...

Thank you! Robert Frost has always been a huge inspiration for me. I love his work! For the subject in this poem, the path is clear in her heart, but others have a plan already paved for her. To choose what she truly desires will bring disapproval by many that expect her to abide by the path that has been chosen by them. So it comes down to her having the courage to follow the path she desires, and the strength to pursue her happiness.

Post a Comment